Saturday, September 19, 2009

What Trade Symbol To Use When Buying Oil




Ruth Valentine has a separate collection, The Tide Table (Slow Dancer, 1998) and published three works. The last one is The Announced (Sylph Editions, 2009) Ellipsis in I, a book in three parts with Flash Fiction by Frances Gapper and short stories by Bethan Stevens. Their next release will On the Salt Marsh (Editions la Serre) type with woodcuts by Garry Kennard. She lives in Tottenham, north London.

Christoph Hueber



Powerpoint

I have circled the planet.
to the golden land of my forefathers,
the Ark on their holy mountain,
I saw the inside of a cloth bag
put over my head, on my hands and ankles
a steel concert, blood, the refusal of the limbs.
Oh, my grandfather in the palaces of the Emperor!

I was between the continents
like roses shipped from Colombia, half-frozen packaged
hidden layers above the clouds.
Calculate the weight of my soul in transport miles, air fields, stars.

Where I was unloaded, it was the Same
in tropical heat or cold, in haubengedimmten light
whitewashed walls, in airport lounges,
the guards, trained
by the same pin-striped men, in seminar rooms
I'm trying to picture; Power Point images,
role play, perhaps, with laughter, or
demonstration of a doll, sewn in India or Taiwan.
your Jutehaut my complexion, my scars.

Translated by Chris Hueber

Powerpoint

I orbited the Earth
above the sand-colored land of my ancestors,
the Ark on their holy mountain, I saw
das Innere eines Baumwollsacks
über meinen Kopf gezerrt; an meinen Handgelenken und Fußknöcheln
Erschütterungen von Stahl, Blut, und die Verweigerung meiner Glieder.
Ach, mein Großvater in den Palästen des Kaisers!

Ich wurde verfrachtet von Kontinent zu Kontinent
ähnlich kolumbianischer Rosen, halbgefroren verpackt,
verborgen über den Wolkenschichten. Errechne
das Gewicht meiner Seele in Food Miles, Flugplätzen, Sternen.

Wo immer ich entladen wurde, es war das Gleiche
in tropischer Hitze oder im Frost, im verdeckverzerrtem Licht
gespiegelt von gekalkten Wänden, in Hangars;
die Wärter trainiert
von den gleichen Nadelstreifenmännern, in Hörsälen,
die ich mir vorzustellen versuche: Powerpoint Bilder,
Rollenspiele womöglich, mit Gelächter, oder Simulation
an einem Mannequin genäht in Indien oder Taiwan,
dessen Haut aus Rupfen meine Farbe, meine Narben.

Übersetzt von Maria Luise Schlay



Powerpoint

Ich habe den Planet umrundet
Über dem goldbraunen Land meiner Ahnen,
die Bundeslade auf dem heiligen Berg,
ich habe das Innere eines Baumwollsacks gesehen
über den Kopf gestülpt; an den Handgelenken und Knöcheln
den Aufschlag vom Stahl und Blut gespürt, Bindungsversagen
Oh my grandfather in the emperor's palaces.

I was transported between continents
originating from Colombia as roses, packaged semi-frozen, over
secretly cloud cover. Calculate
the burden of my soul in Esswaren-mile, airports, stars.

Wherever I also I was unloaded, always the same
in tropical heat or frost, in the distorted light
whitewashed domes, in hangars;
the guards trained
by the same pin-stripe-bearing men, in auditoriums
I try to imagine Power Point images,
RPG perhaps laughter, or simulation
on a sewn in India or Taiwan Mannequin,
sein Gewebe aus Jute, meine Farbe, meine Narben.

Übersetzt von Aprilia Zank

0 comments:

Post a Comment